Monday, December 13, 2010

Pasadena: Revised Images of Excellence

      Pasadena: Revised Images of Excellence is a descriptive account of Mike Rose’s time spent in Pasadena High School, specifically in the Graphic Arts Academy. Pasadena High School is a diverse school in California where students from all different social and economic backgrounds can be found. The school Principal, Judy Codding, created the Graphic Arts Academy as well as the Visual Arts Academy to combine academic and vocational work for students who might not see a point in strictly academic work. The programs set up internships for the students and gave them opportunities to take college classes as seniors. 
      I think that these vocational academies were a very smart idea. They give students who might otherwise drop out of school a reason to continue: the promise of an actual job. But beyond that, I think that the best thing about these programs is the way that all of the curriculum was intertwined. Chemistry, humanities, biology, and math are all taught in ways that make them relatable to graphic arts. The teachers of these subjects meet together on a regular basis to discuss ways to connect the material in successful ways. 
      Pasadena High School’s method of interdisciplinary teaching seems to be very successful, and I can see why. I know that I find it easier to pick up new information when it relates to something that I already understand or am interested in. One of the teachers that I have the best memories of is my fourth grade teacher, Mrs. Napalitano, because she was so good at making seamless transitions between subjects. There were times when I would go home and not even be able to distinguish between reading and science homework because everything was connected so well. I could never understand exactly how she did it, but I knew that it worked, and it made everything a lot easier. 
I think that all high schools should follow the example of PHS. By having teachers that actually communicate with each other, student needs can be more easily identified and learning, as well as teaching, can be made much more effortless. 

No comments:

Post a Comment